Welcome to the web site of the Biddulph and District Genealogy and Historical Society. The aim of the Society is to promote genealogy and local history particularly pertaining to the Biddulph area.
This will be achieved by:
- undertaking research and publishing wherever possible
- purchasing resources that may become available or required by the society
- having a regular programme of speakers
1. New Season of Talks - The season continues on the 21st of October at The Biddulph Victoria Centre and Chapel - please note the change of venue and time.
2. Sale of Society Books - The next sale of books will be on the 21st of September at 10 a.m. in Biddulph Library. Copies of the very popular “All in a Day” the story of Mr. George Gerard Booth DFM will be available along with all the other books published by the BDGHS.
3. Station Road Methodist Chapel Centenary 1956 - For readers of the Biddulph Times who would like to download a copy of the booklet, you can open and download a copy of “Station Road Methodist Chapel Centenary Booklet and Poster” by clicking below:
Centenary Booklet and Poster 1956
4. A Walk around Over Peover - For readers of the Biddulph Times and for anyone who would like a Sunday afternoon walk this summer here is one (click ‘here is one’) from Cheshire Life written by Keith Carter in 2012.
5. Recent Publications
All in a Day by Michael Turner (compiled by Madelaine Lovatt and Michael Turnock) is the story of Warrant Officer George Gerard Booth DFM. Mr. Gerard Booth DFM of Biddulph was a rear gunner in a Handley Page Halifax of 51 Squadron RAF in World War II. The book has 36 A4 colour pages and costs £5.00.
A Collection of Trade Directories for the Biddulph District from 1818 to 1940. by David Outhwaite. A replacement for B09 it is the collated records of over thirty Trade Directories for Biddulph into one book for use in family history research. The book has 88 A4 pages and costs £5.00.
Cavalryman Voltelin Percy Heath by Michael Turnock is the story of a Royal Horse Guard Soldier in the Great War with a plaque in St. Lawrence’s Church, Biddulph. Cavalryman Voltelin Percy Heath has 24 A4 colour pages and costs £3.50.
Transactions 13 ‘A History of the Chatterley Whitfield Railway by William Jack III’ and ‘The Workings of the Locomotives and Trains of Private Firms over the North Staffordshire Railway’ by Dr. J. R. Hollick edited by Mr Roland Machin. (72 pages and cost £5.00).
The Flight Training Notes of Cadet J. E. Machin one of the first RAF Pilots during the First World War. (84 A4 pages at £5:00).
From Workhouse to Lord Mayor is a reprint of George Herbert Barber’s autobiography which was first published in 1937. (84 A4 pages at £7:50).
Please see the Publications page for a full list and short description of all the Society’s books.
All the Societies books are available at Society Meetings, some from Leek Books and the Biddulph Library.
6. Contact Names:
Chairperson - Mr. Roland Machin
David J. Outhwaite (Secretary & Sale of Publications)
You can ask David any questions about the BDGHS. However, if you have a genealogy or a family history question then you can Ask the Reverend Hadfield and a member of the Society will contact you, as soon as possible.
If you're a regular visitor you may wish to check the Site News page which not only lists the latest changes but also tells you how you can be notified by email of future changes.