Welcome to the web site of the Biddulph and District Genealogy and Historical Society. The aim of the Society is to promote genealogy and local history particularly pertaining to the Biddulph area.
This will be achieved by:
- undertaking research and publishing wherever possible
- purchasing resources that may become available or required by the society
- having a regular programme of speakers
Announcements and Information:
1. A New Article and Book on Biddulph Gasworks written by Mr. Michael Turnock is now available on the website.
A Lockdown Project - September 2020.
Complied by Michael Turnock along with Derek Wheelhouse and Adrian Lawton.
A photograph of Biddulph Gasworks taken in the 1970s, showing the large and small gasholders, and the railway cottages appear on the left. [Source: BDGHS]
You will find Michael's work in the Essay Section of the Website.
2. Mr. Michael Ansell sent me a link to the “Congleton Heritage Website” where there is some information about and paintings by Charles William Brown who was a miner born on Biddulph Moor. The direct link to the webpage is: https://congletonheritagefestival.com/events/c-w-brown-artist-and-miner.
3. “SOCIALLY DISTANCED EVENTS 2020”
Thank you to all the members of the Society who attended the first socially distanced meeting on Monday the 21st September at St. Lawrence’s Churchyard.
Second Event on Monday the 19th of October 2020
Monday the 19th of October 2020 at any time between 3 p.m. to 4 p.m. and 6.30 p.m. to 7.30 p.m. to meet at the bench outside Biddulph Library and collect a “Treasure Hunt” document - a set of questions that will involve walking the length of High Street to the War Memorial, St. John’s Road and part of Tunstall Road gathering information.
Saturday the 14th of November 2020 at 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. and Monday the 16th of November from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. the launch of Adrian Lawton’s “Buses of Biddulph.”
Any other ideas will be considered for the December to February meetings.
4. The Hospital Where Everyone Smiles. Geraldine Outhwaite’s new book, after a successful launch on Saturday the 8th of February in Biddulph Library, will be available to purchase from Biddulph Library, Congleton Tourist Information and the Picture Book at Leek.
5. Harecastle’s Canal and Railway Tunnels. The Society has acquired some copies of this new book by Allan C Baker and Mike G Fell. They will be available at Society meetings and copies may be ordered from the Society by visiting our updated Publications page. The Chairman of the Society, Mr. Roland Machin, has written a review which can be found here.
Harecastle’s Canal and Railway Tunnels
6. Contact Names:
Chairperson - Mr. Roland Machin
David J. Outhwaite (Secretary & Sale of Publications)
You can ask David any questions about the BDGHS. However, if you have a genealogy or a family history question then you can Ask the Reverend Hadfield and a member of the Society will contact you, as soon as possible.
If you're a regular visitor you may wish to check the Site News page which not only lists the latest changes but also tells you how you can be notified by email of future changes.