Biddulph & District Genealogy & Historical Society Biddulph Grange by Kath Walton

Local and Family History for the Biddulph area

Current Meeting Reports - 2021

Mr. Michael Turnock “Bradley Green and the Bradbury Coalmasters” - 20th September 2021

Mr. Adrian Lawton “When Uncle Tom Came to Buy a Train.” - 20th September 2021

 


Bradley Green and the Bradbury Coalmasters - 20th September 2021

The first meeting of the 2018/2019 season of the Society was held on Monday the 20th of September when Mr. Michael Turnock presented a short talk on “Bradley Green and the Bradbury Coalmasters.”

The first meeting of the new season of talks at the Biddulph History Society (BDGHS) was held at the Biddulph Victoria Chapel on the 20th of September 2021 and featured two short talks. The first on the Bradley Green and the Bradbury Coalmasters was given by Mr. Michael Turnock.

At the start of this century if you walked down the steps of the Town Hall opposite on the right was the Somerfield Supermarket and then four shops with flats above. Pine Kitchen, a fish and chip shop and cafe; ‘Morning Fresh’ a fresh fruit shop launched by Mr. Bill Summerscale; S. W. Cotton, ophthalmic opticians; and, Swinton insurance. Between the shops and the Conservative Association and Gym was the start of Wharf Road. Past Plimbley Insurance on the left and then next to the bowling green of the Labour Club was Options D-I-Y and the dental practice.

Yew Tree House, Wharf Road, Bradley Green.

This building was the extensive Yew Tree House which had many acres of grounds and was the home of the Bradbury Family. This family is the latest area of research of Mr. Turnock as they were one of the early coal masters, some 20 years before the Heaths, and started the gas works. If you continued down Wharf Road before the Inner Ring Road was completed in 2003 you came to a tree-lined section with the sign of early coal wharfs on each side before coming to the Biddulph Valley Railway line.

Site of the Bradbury Colliery

If you continue a few more yards you came to open fields, see above, which you still do. There is a large field on the left which once was covered with a slag heap. In the far top corner where there is a small copse of trees was the colliery winding gear and a line of cottages (now a farm) built by the Bradbury’s for their miners. These Bradbury miner’s cottages are today partly Woodside Farm. Other cottages in Biddulph are of this period i.e. the rows of 1840s Bradbury’s miners cottages in Cross Street, Cromwell Street and Chapel Street. The row of cottages opposite Saxon tyres was known as Bradbury Row in the 1860s and the name changed to South View by the Biddulph Urban District Council. Wharf Road continued as a dirt road and was crossed by two sidings which joined the Biddulph Valley Railway. The Mine Manager‘s home was the red brick building on the right Woodside Villa.

Map of Bradley Green in the 1880s showing Bradley Green and the colliery

The major member of the Bradbury family involved in Bradley Green was Mr. William Bradbury (1814 - 1872). He was the son of John Bradbury Snr (1792 - 1852) who with his partner Silas Leigh had already been mining at Clayton Colliery, east of Manchester since 1820. They purchased the 70 acres of Staffordshire land from the Ford Family.

William was in charge of the Biddulph mines; Chairman of the Gasworks Company; a Director of Congleton Building Society; a member St. Lawrence’s Church supporter of Biddulph Female Friendly Society; and, supported the proposal to persuade the NSR to bring a railway to Biddulph Valley in 1860. His home Yew Tree House had extensive grounds, a three acre paddock with stables and a coach house employing both a gamekeeper and coachman. When William died (probably whilst visiting Buxton to take the water) and he was buried in Biddulph Church. Being a respected gentleman in Bradley Green, William is remembered with two memorials in the church i.e. a three panel stained glass window and a simple tablet.

Unfortunately, his son was to see the end of the family’s involvement with coal in the Biddulph Valley. The partnership with Silas Leigh was dissolved and imprudent spending led to the mine being acquired by Robert Heath who was the company’s main creditor. Robert Heath continued to work the colliery for about twelve years using it to pump water way which was affecting the workings of the Black Bull mine. It finally closed in 1894 and over the next one hundred years the area returned to a green field. In 2009 Yew Tree was demolished and both the D-I-Y shop and the dentist relocated to other properties on the High Street.

This is a small part of Mr. Turnock’s detailed research with maps, diagrams and family trees to complement the story. When he has completed his work it will be published by the Society.

The next meeting of the Society will be held on Monday the 18th of October 2021 when the speaker will be Mr. Bill Ridgway with a talk entitled “Down Memory Line.”


When Uncle Tom Came to Buy a Train - 20th September 2021

Mr. Adrian Lawton’s talk When Uncle Tom came to England to Buy a Train began with a number of disclaimers but they didn’t distract from an interesting piece of investigative journalism. This report deals with only a small fraction of the evidence Adrian produced to illustrate a remark made when he was much younger “that a family friend from Kidsgrove had travelled on a train pulled by a British locomotive when she had visited her Uncle Tom in Canada.”

Who was Uncle Tom? Thomas Worrall Kent (1922 - 2011) was born in Kidsgrove, the son of John and Isabella Kent. John Kent worked at Cowlishaw Walker and his grandfather was stationmaster at Kidsgrove. Tom won a scholarship to Oxford where he obtained a degree in philosophy, politics and economics. He was a code-breaker at Bletchley Park during the Second World War where he met his wife Phyllida Anne who was also a code breaker. He later became an editorial writer for The Guardian and The Economist. In 1954 he emigrated to Canada with his young family to become editor of the Winnipeg Free Press. In the 1960s his career led him to join the Canadian government and as deputy minister of regional expansion, he left Ottawa and moved with his family to Nova Scotia to head up the Cape Breton Development Corporation. One of the projects involved in the Corporation’s activities to revitalise the economy was the development of the Cape Breton Steam Railway.

From 1971 to 1977, Tom Kent was President of the Cape Breton Development Corporation (Devco). His task was to phase out the unprofitable coal mines and to foster a new economy through diversification and amongst the division’s far-ranging endeavours was its involvement in the tourist industry. Starting in the autumn of 1973, following a very successful first season running a steam train along existing colliery lines, Devco laid railway track from Glace Bay to Port Morien. It was to become one of the premier tourist attractions on Cape Breton Island with a train station, renovated coking ovens, a canteen in an old caboose and a chowder house restaurant. In that first year 14,000 visited the line.

First run in 1973 - Old No.42 at Victoria Junction

Locomotive 42 was a sentimental favourite of many people in Cape Breton. It had worked in the local coal mines until 1963 when it was acquired by a local railway enthusiast and it was later leased to the Cape Breton Steam Railway. The coaches, donated by the Canadian National Railway, were refurbished and maintained at the Devco Railway Roundhouse in Glace Bay.

The line also operated a British Steam Locomotive. But which locomotive? The source of many of the steam engines running on today’s heritage railways was in Wales and not England. Dai Woodham’s scrapyard at Barry acquired 297 steam locomotives for scrapping between 1959 and 1968. Because Dai Woodham decided to concentrate on scrapping railway waggons; most of the steam engines remained untouched; and, he sold most of them a total of 213 on favourable terms mainly to railway preservation societies. If it were not for Mr Woodham, there would be few operating steam locomotives and heritage railways in the UK. By checking the records of locomotives at Barry, Adrian wasn’t able to find a locomotive that had gone to Canada.

However. a second source of steam locomotives was Steamtown U.S.A. Mr F. Nelson Blount, the wealthy founder and owner of a seafood company in USA had a passionate interest in railways and acquired a narrow guage railway in 1955. He then started to assemble a collection of standard guage locomotives. This collection was moved to several different locations but by 1964 his museum, called Steamtown USA, was located at Bellows Falls, Vermont. His wide interest in steam locomotives saw “Repton,” a British engine, enter the museum in 1967. Once again but for one man’s intervention in this case, North America would not have many of the operating locomotives and museums that now exist. After many years of financial difficulties the Steamtown Foundation went bankrupt in 1986 and Congress created the Steamtown National Historic Site and the National Park Service acquired the collection.

“Repton”in its American / Canadian disguise.

So the engine was “Repton” a Schools class 4-4-0 type locomotive, one of 40 named after British public schools, which was built at the Eastleigh works of the Southern Railway in May 1934. It entered service on the Bournemouth route, and spent some time operating between Waterloo and Portsmouth before that line was electrified. It was one of the last of the class to be overhauled by British Railways in 1960, so was considered a good choice for preservation. In December 1962 the engine was withdrawn from service. “Repton,” was then stored at Fratton shed near Portsmouth before moving to Eastleigh Works towards the end of 1964 for storage and restoration.

In 1966 it was purchased and overhauled at Eastleigh and transferred to the USA. It was donated by the purchaser to a museum, Steamtown USA, in Vermont. Later, Steamtown loaned the engine to the Cape Breton Steam Railway in Canada, where it operated a regular passenger service. In 1989, when it was sold, it returned to the UK to the North Yorkshire Moors Railway, where it was again overhauled and found to be in good condition and was steamed again in 1990. Clifford Brown who owned “Repton,” donated it to the NYMR in his will. A subsequent overhaul progressed well and by early 2017 the locomotive was once again operational on the NYMR which runs from Pickering to Whitby. It was re-painted in the original Southern Railway olive green livery for the first time when it returned to this side of the Atlantic.

“Repton”: Waiting for you to visit at the North Yorkshire Moors Railway.

This is just a brief resume of Adrian’s talk and those who would like to hear more can request he repeats the talk at another venue.

The next meeting of the Society will be held on Monday the 18th of October 2021 when the speaker will be Mr. Bill Ridgway with a talk entitled “Down Memory Line.”

Local and Family History for the Biddulph area

These web pages are hosted by 1and1, and the site was originally

created by the late Mr. David Moore

Updated regularly by DJO - See “Site News” for changes.