All the Associated Publications are available to buy at Society Meetings and from the staff of Biddulph Library. You can also purchase the books by ordering them by email from the Secretary of the Society. You can order your book(s) by visiting “The Books Sales Page” using the links below.
You can navigate to the other pages in the Publications section by clicking on the links below:
Two “Images of England Books” by Derek Wheelhouse
Biddulph Volume I: Archive photographs of Biddulph from the “Images of England“ series collected and written by Derek Wheelhouse. Includes pictures of the Countryside, Biddulph Village, Biddulph Grange, Transport and Industry, Recreation and Leisure, Men in Service, Schools, Events, Societies and Church and Chapel. List price £12:50 but available from the Society for £8:00
Biddulph Volume 2: Archive photographs of Biddulph from the “Images of England” series collected and written by Derek Wheelhouse. Incudes more pictures of the Countryside, Town and Village, The Grange, Transport, Trade and Industry, Recreation and Leisure, Schools, Local Events, Societies and Church and Chapel. List price £12:50 but available from the Society for £8:00
Four Books by Geraldine Outhwaite
1. Stories from The Shop – A 1950s Childhood (Published in 2012) £7.95
2. Brownhills, The Beatles and Beyond – The 1960s Growing Up and Moving On (Published in 2014) £7.95
Only a limited number of the two books above are available please eMail a request for a copy.
3. Marriage in The Biddulph District – The 1830s to the 1970s. Published in association with the BDGHS in 2015. Much of this information has been compiled by Elaine Heathcote and added to and edited into book form by Geraldine Outhwaite. The information was compiled during the early part of 2014 and the material was first used in a display in Biddulph Library in that year. Such was the volume of the material and its interesting quality that it was decided to draw the material together into a book form. Marriage in The Biddulph District has 124 A5 pages and costs £7.95
4. Women‘s Work in The 1940s and 1950s (The jobs women were doing in the Staffordshire Moorlands and Stoke-on-Trent areas). This book is an exploration of women‘s working lives in the mid-C20th, namely the decades of the 1940s and 1950s - very eventful times in which to have lived as life for women was expanding and changing more than ever before beyond the home and family. In the book, there are first-hand accounts of what jobs local women were employed in as well as historical facts to give background to working life at the time. The Women‘s stories document how the history, economy, industry and culture of the local area have dramatically altered. We notice that the types of jobs available then have disappeared (understandably) or at least seriously declined (lamentably.) Women‘s Work in The 1940s and 1950s has 122 A5 pages and costs £8.50
5. “The Hospital Where Everyone Smiles.” A local history book by Geraldine Outhwaite.
It was in 1921 that Robert Heath, the industrialist generously offered Biddulph Grange to the North Staffordshire Cripples’ Society for conversion to a hospital. After a false start with them, it was taken over by Lancashire County Council and it operated as a dedicated children’s hospital from 1924 until the 1960s.
This book recounts its history after Bateman’s and Heath’s time; its continued use as a hospital after the introduction of the N.H.S. and before the National Trust took it over to reclaim its splendid Victorian past. The Hospital Where Everyone Smiles has 165 A5 pages and costs £8.50
Return to the Top of this Page